UPDATE: New info posted for volunteer opportunities to help African asylum seekers in Israel.
I’m passing this along for those of us who have time and resources to partake. It’s best that we Israelis act the part of good hosts while we are entangled in the Sudanese refugee mess.
After all, we know what it’s like to be homeless.
Refugees escaping war and political dictatorship from Sudan, Eritrea and the Ivory Coast amongst other African countries are in desperate need of assistance. The government makes no provision. Basic shelter, food and clothing for over 600 refugees is being provided by donation. The shockingly over-cramped living conditions are highly unsuitable for adults and more so for children.
For example, in one shelter, 190 asylum seekers occupy a 200 metre square space, sharing one toilet and shower and no cooking facilities. Another shelter is located above a shelter for active drug addicts. This shelter remains unlocked and the residents report strangers breaking in during the night. At times refugees sleep outside in the cold and rain.
Of particular concern at the moment is the severe lack of hostel space, the 13 unaccompanied children who need to be found schools/homes and the practical supplies and places to work needed for the older refugees (they do have work permits).
URGENT HELP/EQUIPMENT NEEDED
- Food: 10 kg sugar, 10 bottles of oil, 100+ tea bags/ coffee, 50 cans of meat, sardines, tuna (all on an ongoing basis)
- Women’s sanitary equipment (on an ongoing basis)
- 10 shower curtains
- 300 (or on an ongoing basis) pieces of soap
- 300 (or on an ongoing basis) toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Men’s shoes and winter clothing, socks, woolen hats, scarfs, coats (enough for 350 people)
- 350 Blankets, towels
- 4 first aid kits and 4 lockers to keep the kits in a safe place
- A fund for essential medicines for special cases when the refugees are not able to pay
- 6 (used) cell phones and phone cards for the refugee leaders in the shelters in order to communicate with them to arrange daily life issues (e.g. to pass on information such as where to pick up food and to give the leaders the opportunity to contact us when there are serious problems in the shelters)
- 4 phones (land lines) for the shelters for incoming calls only
- Paint for the walls in the women’s shelter
- Office equipment (computer, telephone, desk, chairs, fax, copy machine etc)
- Space for temporary shelters
- Schools to accept the 13 unaccompanied minors aged 14-15
Contact Gila at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note donations need to be delivered
No need for Hebrew unless specified. No need for own transport.
For the following please contact email@example.com:
- Volunteers to help in the shelters (e.g. daily check-in, escorting refugees to a doctor’s appointment, the hospital etc)
- Volunteers to help find refugees accommodation
- Volunteer Lawyers
- Volunteer to help with the website
- Volunteers to help with cooking
- Volunteers to help with driving and coordination (e.g. transportation form the shelters to the hospital — car needed)
- Volunteer to help fix the office computer
- Volunteers to take in pregnant women or unaccompanied minors (usually age 15) to their home
For the following please contact Elisheva at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Volunteers to help find refugees work
- Volunteer Social workers, Psychologists, Therapists, Physicians, Nurses