– partied erev yh by walking to town from katamon being loud and flag-wearing
– got to town, sheleg and all, crazy closed-off yafo, lots of happy people
– went to ulpan friend’s bbq in har homa
– went to rehavia-turned-british mandated palestine street fair
– insane bbq in insane bbq-littered gan sacher under insane sky
highlight: at the rehavia/british palestine fair, we were looking at the sandbag wall with barbed wire and this woman born in sweden comes over and starts telling me how she came here from sweden during the mandate and she lived a few blocks away and that that was exactly how it looked and she could remember the british, etc – and she was just smiling and talking so fast, it got me so excited because she was excited because it was yom haaztmaut and she was still here and the british werent and israel is 57… the history is still so real.
i’ll admit, i missed the enthusiasm of a binghamton yom haaztmaut festival, but only for a spit second.
צילומי יום העצמעות