Just for fun, because I just finished working and it’s after 10pm, here are five metaphoric-idiomic examples I can think of off the top of my head that describe my experience right now as a fairly
career-driven, family-driven, career driven, family driven, career and family driven working mom.
- I’m on a roller coaster that in theory could stop, but I can’t reach the lever, and the fact is, I kind of don’t want to reach for the lever, because I’m a sado-masochist curious about where this will stop.
- The chicken comes first. Also, the egg. Both come first. And you rule the roost. Both roosts. You rule all the roosts even when you’re pooped.
- Most of the time, it’s about keeping your head above water. Sometimes you just have to hold your breath and jump in, feet first. Sometimes it’s not you jumping in, but your kid, at his swim lesson, while you’re scrambling to organize a press release.
- The ball is in my court. Constantly. But my hands are tied. And now my wrists are tired. And also my face. My face is tired.
- There is no such thing – for anyone, ever – as sleeping like a baby.
And with that, Slack is buzzing and some kid is stirring and cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon…